Sunday, March 29, 2009

You're Dead to me PetSmart

First off, I'd like to offer a warm welcome to the newest member of the Waist Not Want Not team, my kitty cat Bingley! He's cute and cuddly and, apparently, needs to lose 2 or 3 pounds. Guess what they say is true...like mother like son!

So the last time Bingley and I went to the vet he weighed in at 15 lbs (He should be closer to the the 12-13 range they tell me). I get the same barrage of questions every time after the annual weigh-in (and sadly enough these are the same questions I dread when I go to the doctor):


How much do you feed him?

Katie: 1 cup a day like you have told me.

Can you feed the two cats separately?

Katie: Ah no. That would be almost impossible to pull off.

Is he an indoor cat?

Katie: Yep. All his exercise is dependent on him playing with his buddy Jet.

You see this belly? This is where cats carry all their weight. He's got a whole lot of fat.

Katie: Wow. That was direct.

You get the picture. Being the good cat mommy that I am, I decided we needed to try something new to make sure Bingley's life is the best that it can be. So the solution this time was diet food. I bought one bag of Prescription Diet Food that day at the vet but I have since gone through it. Since the vet is totally inconvenient to my daily life and I haven't been able to replenish my supply, today I went to PetSmart to track down some more food.

I find the food (thank goodness!) and go to check out and they won't let me buy it without a "prescription card." Ah - excuse me? It's cat food. Regular old cat food with less calories. What do you mean a prescription? I'm sure I misheard you.

The sales lady proceeds to take my cat food off the register and place it aside. I mean, I couldn't even sweet talk her into putting in the top secret code to allow me to buy it just this once. No help at all.

What is the world coming to? I can't just buy food that will be better for my cat but I have to have authorization for it? What's next? I'll need permission to by Slim Fast at the grocery store? A doctor's note to enter the gym? Absurd. What's so wrong with diet cat food to where they would need to restrict it's purchase like an illegal substance? I'm not buying Xanax people - I'm buying cat food!!!!

You're dead to me PetSmart. Dead. Bingley and I will just have to get our pet supplies elsewhere and until the time I can get to the vet, I'm sorry Bingley, but the poundage might stay on a little bit longer. Sorry little guy!

3 comments:

  1. My roommate in college had a 30lb cat - no joke! 30lbs! There was no use in diet cat food for Skippy (ironic name, right?!) Lindsay had to move the cat food into her closet on a high shelf to keep Skippy out - only that darn cat figured out how to open the closet door, get on the shelf, eat his way into the food bag and then was too stuffed to move. She came home one day to find him just chillin in the empty bag... I think Bingley has a one up on Skippy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shouldn't they keep behind a counter or something! How dare they flaunt it out on the floor, if you have to have prescription for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it does seem as though weight issues run in the family because both of my kitties struggle with their figures as well. I've since been using Science Diet. They have an indoor diet formula or something along those lines. So far its worked well for my little fatties so you might look into it for da Bing!

    ReplyDelete