Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Gym Room Gypsies (GRG)

Not many people are familiar with the gymnasious gypsious group (or in recent decades they've been dubbed "Gym Room Gypsies" for the layman) but they have actually been around for hundreds of years quietly flying under the radar. They travel in smaller groups of generally three to four people and are usually led by one dominant, or alpha, male with two to three male or female companions. Most bands are out-going and social, enjoy congregating amid various physical activities or games, and also possess the ability to quickly adapt to new surroundings which of course has aided in their survival over the years. Their diet consists mainly of lean protein, fruits and vegetables, and they tend to consume large amounts of water. Earliest documentation of GRGs indicate that they originated in the Mediterranean area and have since migrated to various regions all over the world.

One of the lesser know facts about Gym Room Gypsies are that several of the participants in the first documented Olympic games in Greece in 776 BC were members of a local band of GRG.

Yeah- I'm lying. Clearly, I'm making all of this up. And if you really believed me I suggest you contact your local community college and sign up for some history classes. :)

My latest post was inspired by our current homelessness gym-wise. Our trainer J.R. recently happened upon a great opportunity for his business- the chance to run his own studio gym. He of course consulted all of his clients to make sure moving locations would suit all parties involved and I can only speak for myself, but I know I was happy to oblige! Sadly, the manager of Uptown Energy Fitness was not so excited about the news. J.R. informed me last night that after he put in his 30 days notice (intending to move into his new facility May 1st) the manager of Uptown informed him there was no need to wait 30 days and yesterday would be his last day there. Can you believe that?! Inappropriate Uptown manager man!! So as of this morning, and for the next month, Katie and I will be training with J.R. at the gym in his apartment building next door.

Adjusting to the nomadic lifestyle was easier than I thought it would be. Our new location is a bit smaller but there is a lot more privacy. I guess most of the apartment dwellers aren't fans of working out before dawn...I suppose I can't blame them! Luckily for me, I can sculpt my sweet bod just about anywhere so the location of our gym is irrelevant. Haha, kidding! So far the only downside to being homeless is we do not have showers at the new locale so we still have to go across the street to my, now, mortal enemy's gym to use his showers. I have half a mind to not put my towel in the hamper anymore just to show him who's boss.


How do you like picking up my laundry manager man?!?

So given our new reality of living on the streets and having to fend for ourselves, we unfortunately didn't get to do our weigh-in and measurements seeing as...well...we don't even have a scale at or new location. Not to worry my little bloggy family, I'm sure we'll figure out something soon to remedy the situation!

3 comments:

  1. ryan - i love your posts! you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks! As much as I hate to admit this I'm pretty much the exact same in person. Just as random, and just as rambly! :\

    ReplyDelete
  3. RYAN!!!!!! Love the blog. I am so glad you found mine! I have to keep up with it better though. I definitely keep up with nat's too. I can't believe I didn't see your blog on her list. I have got to figure this whole blog thing out a little better. I have typed blog like 3 (make that 4 times) in this little paragraph. Anywho, how are you??

    ReplyDelete